Below is a summary of the key findings from the fiscal year 2012 Massachusetts Cardiac Study annual reports for adult patients undergoing a coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG) surgery or a percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). The full version of each report may be downloaded in PDF format on the Cardiac Study-Annual Reports page, or by clicking the section titles below
Additional educational material about the reports is available on the main Reports page. For a brief explanation of the key elements used in the 95% posterior intervals for standardized mortality incidence rates (SMIRs) charts, please view the simplified explanation in the SmirChart-Concepts.pdf document.
- In the period October 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012 (fiscal year 2012), there were 6,696 hospital admissions in Massachusetts in which at least one cardiac surgery was performed.
- 40.02% (2,680) of the admissions involved isolated coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.
- In the 14 hospitals that performed cardiac surgery during fiscal year 2012, the number of isolated CABG surgery admissions ranged from 70 to 307.
- cause mortality rate (defined as the number of patients dying from any cause within 30 days of surgery divided by the number of isolated CABG surgery admissions) in Massachusetts during fiscal year 2012 was 1.23%. This corresponded to 33 deaths out of 2,680 isolated CABG admissions.
- After adjusting for patient risk, the risk of 30-day mortality in a hospital one standard deviation above the state average was 1.6 times that of a hospital one standard deviation below the state average.
- In the period October 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012 (fiscal year 2012), there were 12,240 Massachusetts hospital admissions (excluding patients considered exceptionally high risk for death), in which at least one percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) was performed.
- 22.2% (2,712) of these admissions were shock or STEMI admissions – admissions in which the patient had an ST-elevated myocardial infarction (STEMI) within 24 hours of admission or was in shock at the time of the procedure. The remaining 77.8% (9,528) of these admissions were no shock and no STEMI admissions.
- five hospitals performed at least one PCI during the period October 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012; eleven participated in the Massachusetts Primary PCI Pilot Program. All primary PCI Pilot programs are approved for shock or STEMI admissions. All pilot hospitals, with the exception of Beverly Hospital, that participated in the MASS-COMM clinical trial were approved to perform elective PCIs with limited restrictions beginning August 2013.
- Additional criteria for patients considered exceptionally high risk for death (Exceptional Risk) were collected and adjudicated by Mass-DAC. Approved Exceptional Risk cases were eliminated from the analysis.
- After adjusting for patient risk for those having no shock and no STEMI, the relative risk of in-hospital mortality in a hospital one standard deviation above the Massachusetts average was 1.9 times that of a hospital one standard deviation below the Massachusetts average.
- The odds of in-hospital mortality in a hospital one standard deviation above the Massachusetts average was 2.0 times that of a hospital one standard deviation below the Massachusetts average for patients with shock or STEMI.